Last Wednesday WOW-Teddy Bear Style

Mar 12, 2014

I hope you can link up with a WOW moment (professional or personal) from your week.  This will be my last Wednesday WOW for awhile.

Natalie and I have moved to the second part of our Teddy Bear Store story problems.  We have been working so hard to get our students to visualize the story problems and solve them in a way that makes sense to them.  It was now time for them to write their own.

First, we brainstormed all the types of Teddy Bear Store problems that we have encountered.  It was a long list.  But it included: subtraction, multiplication, division, addition, missing addend, and combinations.

Then, they started writing.




 It was such a WOW moment to watch our firsties write these story problems.   Actually the majority of the students that I work with wrote multiplication stories.  These were the same students that struggled to think of an addition problem at the beginning of the year.  Here are two examples:

"My mom had 8 kids.  She gave 3 bears to each kid.  How many bears does she need?"

"I walked into my bedroom and saw 16 bear ears under my bed.  How many bears are under my bed?"

These problems, among 65 others, will be shared at our first grade story problem celebration.  They are so excited and I look forward to sharing it with you :)




 

3 comments:

  1. This is fantastic! I love how this illustrates all the different ways math applies to the real world. I think I might pull up your blog and ask my kids to solve these problems today. I'll try to snap a picture if it works out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed with their stories. They sound like ones that are on our benchmark tests. Great work! I hope I can make myself post while you are on a break from Wednesday WOW! ;P
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. WRITING the problems is so challenging! I did this with my kids one day, and it's definitely not for the faint of heart! I'm so impressed with you, as always. :) I've been MIA lately, so I'm trying to catch up on visiting/reading with others. Hope all is well for you! :)

    ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! We will reply through email or in a comment above. Thank you!!