How I SEE Numbers: Part-Part-Whole

Oct 10, 2014


I think that it is a pretty good sign that our Number Talks are working when my firsties just start to EXPLAIN how they see a number before I can even ask the question.
They touch their little noses (our sign that they are ready) and are so eager to talk about how they see the dot cards, tens frames, or rekenreks.
I touched on skill this last year but after reading Number Talks and being more intentional about the cards I show, I see a BIG difference. 

I love having the conversation about how they see a dot card in different ways.  We even have a bulletin board right behind my table where I display the different ways that they see the same exact dot image.

This led to an idea...

I stated in one of my previous math posts about our routine of each student working with "their" number.  They are doing lots of different activities to help them see the different number bonds for a given number.  They are moving at their own pace and do not move on to the next number until they know the different parts of the number they are on.  You can check out that post HERE:)
I wanted to give them the freedom to visualize these numbers in their own way.  

I quickly went home and created something like this and tried it out on some of my firsties.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Part-Part-Whole-How-I-See-Numbers-1490760

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Part-Part-Whole-How-I-See-Numbers-1490760


They really seemed to enjoy it, the activity tied to our daily discussions, and best of all...they were working on "their" number.  But, of course, I was not satisfied with just these sheets.  I needed more.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Part-Part-Whole-How-I-See-Numbers-1490760

I made sheets for the numbers 3-10 that look like this (These are four different sheets).  I need differentiated materials for my groups because everyone is working at different levels.  This gives me some different options because some students can handle three problems and some can handle more.  Some kids need the whole number filled in right now and some do not.

But still...I wanted more because we are also working on to help them see the connection between addition and subtraction

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Part-Part-Whole-How-I-See-Numbers-1490760

What do you think?  I hope that it will be helpful to my firsties and your students!!  If you want to try it out...I put a sample up for FREE.  It is for the number five.  Otherwise, the full pack includes numbers 3-10!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Part-Part-Whole-How-I-See-Numbers-1490760

 Are there any routines you are using to help with fact fluency?

13 comments:

  1. Amazing! Exactly what I need and so glad I found you! Subitizing, composing and decomposing numbers are so important. Love your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I am so glad you stopped by. I would love to hear how it worked out for you. We are going to keep plugging away at this skill :)

      Delete
  2. What a great way to practice seeing numbers!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em, I am super-excited to get your unit copied and ready to go for next week! My kids are going to LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this inspiring post! I have a new focus for my kiddos this week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! I have been really enjoying this work. It is so exciting when it starts to come together for them and me :)

      Delete
  5. Uh. May. Zing.
    As always.
    Pinned it to my School Stuff board and to the collab boards: 1st Grade and Math. Will send you the pin links.
    LOVE.
    Growing Firsties

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I will have a 1st grader and a Kindergartner next year. I can not wait to use these now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will also have a 1st grader and K student! Our firsties really enjoyed them this year. I hope your kiddos like them too!

      Delete
  7. I love this! It is very clear and really helps kids see a number in different configurations, building on their visual clustering skills! so important for numeracy and number sense....thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice comments!! It has been very helpful for our first graders, for sure!

      Delete
  8. WOW this is great ! Thank you very very much . :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! We will reply through email or in a comment above. Thank you!!