Bright Ideas: iFluency

Apr 12, 2014

A few of my students really need a fluency boost.  Anyone else in the same boat?  I needed something quick, meaningful, to the point, and (to be honest) easy.


We know that listening to stories, listening stations, and just reading make better, more fluent readers.  But I have a few readers that just need more.  So I decided to add a little video to our fluency work.

Here's what I did...

My struggling students really need additional practice with their guided reading books.  They could read the text but it was not quite a fluent read.  They needed some additional support.

As you record the video, make sure that you are reading at the pace you want to model for the student you have in mind.  Also point to the words as you read.  They will be pointing along with you as they read the text.




Now it is their turn to read.  Put the iPad in front of your reader, along with headphones and some kind of plastic tracking tool. (If they use their own finger to track the print, the iPad will react to it.)



As your student listens to the video, they track the print AND read along with you.  The modeled practice will help them to improve their own fluency.



Here is a quick 30 second video to show you what it looks like in action.  You will hear my voice on the video and then the child is reading along with it.  My finger is pointing on the video and the child is pointing along with me.




If you are interested in following me, just click on the options below!

http://www.pinterest.com/emilyh001/https://www.facebook.com/Curiousfirsties


Hope you can "hop" through the link-up for more Bright Ideas!  The links are all listed below!

11 comments:

  1. SUPER great idea and post Em! Thanks!

    :) Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I really have enjoyed this strategy!

      Delete
  2. I have several that would really benefit from an activity like this, but alas, we have no ipads. :( I think our district is working on it so maybe I'll be able to do this in the future. Great idea!!!
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. I absolutely LOVE this idea. I think my firsties could really benefit from something like this. Especially my low babies. Thanks for sharing!
    Karen Rowland
    Adventures With Firsties

    karenrowland112677@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea. I also like the name "ifluency." Did you coin this term? If so, great job!
    elizabeth.parce@k12.sd.us

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! I think this is brilliant. I can't wait to try it with my intervention groups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karla!! I would love to hear how it goes for you!

      Delete
  7. Great idea--Can't wait to try it for the new school year.
    -Your newest follower
    *Lovely Nina
    http://lovelyninadesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! We will reply through email or in a comment above. Thank you!!