Handwriting: Tall, Small and Fall

Sep 21, 2016

I have been watching our OT the past few years when she's come into our classroom to do a few lessons here and there and I've picked up on a few of her tricks.  The good thing about this is.... she's on maternity leave this year, but I was still able to replicate a few of her lessons, which my firsties needed, believe me!  :)

The lessons I love are on Tall, Small and Fall letters. We started looking at letters and the lines they sit on.  Here's the chart I made for our firsties.

We looked at the letters and decided where we should put them.  Each person was given a letter and came up to place it on the chart.  A few were put in the wrong places, but we were able to look at the other letters to help us find the right home.
After a few days of practice, we moved to cutting (we need it desperately) sorting and gluing.
We also did some whole group sorting.


After that we looked at letters and found either tall, small or fall.  Then, we practiced writing them.

Some of needed some highlighting to make sure our letters were being formed correctly.  It's a work in progress. :)

I made a little packet to help our little firsties with recognizing and writing.  There are also a couple of sorts that can be used for an assessment.  Interested?????  I'll give this packet to the first five people that comment. :)

Happy Handwriting!

31 comments:

  1. OMG! Was just talking about this today in class!!!
    Need it!
    Julene
    jhoffman143@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love this! Ambercfleming@yahoo.com. Never seen the letters and stuff on the poster like that. Very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about this and would love to do it with my firsties!
    kathrynkvidera@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I'd appreciate this for my second grade class; they are not showing up with the basic skills needed in letter formation, pencil grip and cutting. This will be a wonderful, hands-on activity! ttownsell@everettsd.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have this also. Some of my students seem to need OT. Thanks... rcwgreen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Jill,

      I'd love to send you a copy, what's your email address?
      Maria

      Delete
  7. I love the rhyming words to describe where they sit -- why didn't I think of "fall"?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,

      Would you like a copy? Send me your email address. :)
      Maria

      Delete
  8. The chart is smart. Nice thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your rhyming idea! So clear and fun! Thanks! I'll share this post to my teacher friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing!!! I wish I could take the credit, but the rhyming came from our OT. I'll let her know. :)

      Delete
  10. This is great!!! Can I have a copy, please?
    rythmtw@gmail.com
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would also love a copy. This would be super helpful for my grade 1 class!
    Kaitlin.gutowski@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi

    My kids are NYSAA/ developmentally disabled and would surely benefit from this. Can you please send me a copy to Lamika.Wilson@rcsdk12.org
    Or mswilteach@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could I please have a copy of this? My kiddos are having a hard time with this concept. ericacahill@ci.bristol.ct.us

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! this is exactly what i need. my 5yo son is advanced in reading and math but writing is yikes! LOL. do you mind sending me a copy? yaken_bofel@yahoo.com. and thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Any chance you are still giving these out? Amazing learning and practice!! If so ,here is my email billmisskev@yahoo.com and thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi is this still available? If so I can be reached at jbuchinsky@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love this! Karsch@berksiu.org
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you are still sharing copies I would love one! Mermelst@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Would love a copy if you are still sharing! This is great! Amberjo3@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! Would you be willing to send me a copy? gusta39@yahoo.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, if you're still giving them out I'd like a copy too! Lwald48@gmail.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello,
    I would love to have this if you're still given it out.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wonder if you ever got sick of sending people your stuff...? If not would you mind sending it to me? I love this, very cute rhyme and your follow up worksheets are a great way to bring home the learning. I'm an OT, thank you for reproducing this so nicely. I like how you didn't make it obvious by adding the yellowing to the letter cards, but kept the line on them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am new at teaching preschool. I completed my first year and this would be perfect to work with my students. If you are still willing to send this out I would greatly appreciate it! My email is dmstruck5@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll send it your way, Michele! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you’re still willing to share, I’d love a copy. My email is Kvandyke67@gmail.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would love a copy also if possible! Such a great resource for my kinder. Thank you! katdanlaw@msn.com

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! We will reply through email or in a comment above. Thank you!!