Small Moments Rubrics.....

Oct 9, 2012

We have been working on small moments stories for quite a few weeks.  I can't even remember if I posted about it before.  argh!  Anyhoo, a few weeks back I had my firsties bring in 3-4 items that reminded them of a small moment in their life.  For example, I brought a little brown envelope, like the ones the kids get when their teeth fall out.  Every time I see one of these little guys, it takes me back to losing my first tooth.  Imagine this.....  I was in Mrs. Miller's second grade classroom. I remember sitting in my chair, biting on my blue, button down sweater when my tooth came out!!!!!  Of course I was sent to the nurse and given one of those little brown envelopes.  Each time I see one... takes me back. 

Thanks to that great experience, I can no longer wear certain types of sweaters or certain types of fleece.  oohhh.. gives me shivers just thinking about it.  It's also necessary to keep lotion close for my hands.  :)  All these little quirks that make me, me. 

So, for the last week or so we have been focusing on "enhancing" our writing.  Using adjectives, adding sentences, deleting sentences, adding pictures that can include labels, working on a title, whew!  We have just been working those writing pieces to the bone!  We are now ready to use our "Writer's Eye's" to make our final revisions.  I made this checklist for my firsties to use tomorrow.  I will have to come back with details later about how it went.  What do you think about it?????


I also made this rubric for grading.  I'm NOT the rubric queen like my Curious Friend Karen, so I'm not sure if I like it yet.   Let me know what you think. 


How do you use rubrics???  Do you have any great ones to share or sites you get them from????  I'd LOVE to know!!!  :)

Have a Curious Wednesday!  It's picture day for us!

5 comments:

  1. GREAT JOB on your checklist and rubrics! Both of them are easy to use but help your Firsties bench their writing!! Hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for letting me know what you thought about this rubric. :) It takse so much time and I don't feel like I'm anywhere near an expert on these. :) How do you grade writing???? I'd love to know.
      Maria

      Delete
  2. Wow! I'm impressed with both the checklist and the rubric. I hope you'll share your students' pieces with us. I use rubrics occasionally, but I'm not sure they are real honest with them yet!! You have been Boo-ed...Come see me!
    http://owlthingsfirst.blogspot.com/2012/10/ive-been-boo-ed-now-grab-treat.html
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been boo-ed! Come on over to my blog and find out what this means!

    Karen
    An Apple a Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh small moments are so hard for my students! I love your rubrics and checklists, though. They are definitely going to help!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! We will reply through email or in a comment above. Thank you!!