Beginning of the Year books and FREEBIE

Jun 23, 2013


Sunday morning...
Sun is shining.  Kids are playing.  Woodpecker pecking.  Birds chirping.  Perfect morning to link up.
What a great linky party!  Here are a few of my favorites.
I fell in love with this one a couple of years ago.  It is all about the importance of being an individual.  That it is okay for us to all be different, which is something I try so hard to stress throughout the year.  In the past, I have given my students a box of crayons but when they open them up they are all the same color.  I ask them to color a picture.  Then we do the same thing but with a regular box of crayons.  We connect this to having a classroom full of different people.   Here is a FREEBIE to go along with this idea.

Here are a couple of my other favorites about being yourself:

Just one more to share:

 Have a nice Sunday!

9 comments:

  1. OHH, there are a couple I haven't heard of. Off to Amazon--AGAIN! ;) Thanks for linking up!!

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shared lots of great read alouds. I have almost all of these, but The Best Place to Read is one of my favorites in your list above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can't wait to read the Crayon Box That Talked and The Best Place to Read! Thanks for the suggestions!

    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of The Crayon Box That Talked, but it sounds like fun! Thanks for the freebie too!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun choices! I love the Crayon Box that talked & the best place to read. I often use those at the beginning of the year,too:)
    SynonymRolls&AntonymMoments

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading The Crayon Box That Talked to my kids. It's definitely a keeper when it comes to the culture I want in my classroom.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just started reading The Crayon Box That Talked this past year. I loved it and the kiddos did too! Great book picks!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so happy to see I Like ME! on your list! When I student taught, that was one of the first books that was read to the kindergarteners :) Thanks for sharing and bringing back great memories!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog today and became a follower. I really like the message of "The Crayon Box That Talked" and what you do with it. Being blind myself, it's sometimes hard for me to explain to the children about differences. I think this is a fabulous way.

    If you have a second, come and check out my blog. :)

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! We will reply through email or in a comment above. Thank you!!