Five for Friday Story Problems

Sep 20, 2013


Happy Friday to one and all out there!

It was a fun week of problem solving in our little Curious Firstie world.  I know, I know....I have blogged about this problem solving book (Posing and Solving Problems with Story Boxes).  We hit the point this week that our kids had to create their own story problems.  What! It is the third week of September....beginning of the year....surely they can't do this.  UM!  YES!  They can :)

So I am linking up this Friday to share some of these experiences this week.  Thanks Doodle Bugs for hosting my favorite linky (well...I like my Wednesday WOW linky).
1. The creation of bus story problems (higher achieving students): They came up with their problems and wrote them.


 

2. More creation of story problems (struggling students): They came up with the problem and I wrote it for them.






3. Sharing of the problems:







 4. We discussed problem solving strategies this week.  We modeled, discussed, and produced some images together to help us remember them. Here is an example.


5. Last up---little bit of phonics for you.  I made a "Making Words" powerpoint for the -ap and -ack families.  Our struggling readers did a great job with it!  They actually followed along with the sheet below.  We practiced making these families and handwriting at the same time (much needed handwriting).  You can click on the image if you want to download a preview of the Powerpoint.


 
 Have a good weekend everyone!  Don't forget to link up on Wednesday with something great that is going on with you :)




4 comments:

  1. How fantastic is your problem creating! I love that idea. I especially liked the one about it being dark and the bus driver only seeing eyes - what higher order thinking!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those problems were adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Love having our first grade kiddos write their own story problems. Your kiddos did great!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em, the story problems are terrific! You are doing your best to make me read that book aren't you! haha
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! We will reply through email or in a comment above. Thank you!!